Position Announcement: Staff Attorney with minimum 3-5 years complex civil litigation experience
The Southern Coalition for Social Justice (SCSJ) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization founded in August, 2007 whose mission is to promote justice by empowering people of color and economically disadvantaged communities to defend and advance their political, social and economic rights. SCSJ’s focus areas are community-driven, and currently include voting rights, criminal justice reform, environmental justice, and human rights. For more information on our work and our unique community lawyering approach, visit our website at www.scsj.org.
SCSJ has an immediate opening for a licensed attorney with at least 3-5 years of civil litigation experience. While the position will primarily focus on voting rights issues at first, a motivated candidate may later seek opportunities to participate in SCSJ’s environmental justice, criminal justice reform and human rights practice areas as well.
- Licensed in the State of North Carolina, or ability to waive in promptly
- At least 3-5 years complex civil litigation experience, with extensive motion and discovery practice, well-developed legal research and writing skills, and appearances in civil proceedings in state and federal court.
- Experience in appellate proceedings
- Ability to be self-reliant and self-directed
- Commitment to social justice principles and to SCSJ’s community-lawyering model of practice
Spanish language skills, experience with civil rights or social justice litigation and/or experience in administrative proceedings a plus.
Start Date: As soon as possible. Location: SCSJ’s office in Durham, North Carolina. A Staff Attorney Job description is available here.
Candidates should send a cover letter, resume and legal writing sample to Shannah@scsj.org. Applicants are encouraged to visit our website at www.scsj.org to learn more about the organization.