Positions Have Been Filled as of September 22, 2014
Employment Opportunity Legal Corps Staff Attorney (2 positions available)
The Southern Coalition for Social Justice (SCSJ) has an immediate opening for two licensed attorneys to work in our Clean Slate Program. These positions are available through generous funding from Equal Justice Works and AmeriCorps for their Employment Opportunity Legal Corps. The positions are for one year, with the option to renew for a second year. The positions will exclusively focus on improving the employment opportunities and outcomes of people with criminal records via tools such as Certificates of Relief, Expungements, Driver’s License Restorations, and Professional License Restorations. Click here for the complete SCSJ Employment Opportunity Legal Corps Attorney job description.
SCSJ is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization founded in August, 2007 whose mission is to promote justice by empowering people of color and economically disadvantaged communities to defend and advance their political, social and economic rights. SCSJ’s focus areas are community-driven, and currently include voting rights, criminal justice reform, environmental justice, and human rights. For more information on our work and our unique community lawyering approach, visit our website at www.scsj.org.
- Licensed to practice law in the State of North Carolina
- Passion for helping people with criminal convictions overcome barriers to employment
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to work with minimal paralegal support (all attorneys share a single paralegal)
- Commitment to social justice principles and to SCSJ’s community-lawyering model of practice
This job does not require previous legal experience, but candidates must already be licensed to practice law in the state of North Carolina in order to be considered.
Start Date: September 2014. Location: SCSJ’s office in Durham, North Carolina. An Employment Opportunity Legal Corps Staff Attorney Job description is available HERE
Equal Justice Works provides a $24,200 living allowance and supplemental benefits package for Employment Opportunity Legal Corps participants. The total compensation package is up to $48,000 based on eligible expenses as determined by Equal Justice Works, and includes the following:
- $24,200 Living Allowance
- Housing allowance
- Eligibility to place all qualified student loans into forbearance and receive an interest accrual payment at the end of service
- $5,500 education award on successful completion of service
- Opportunity to attend a national training program to develop leadership skills, learn effective practices to accomplish your projects and meet colleagues from across the country
- Child care assistance (if income eligible)
- Medical and dental insurance
- State and local bar dues
- Mileage reimbursement and per diem when applicable
- Retirement plan contribution
- Training and continuing legal education in relevant areas
Candidates should send a cover letter, resume and legal writing sample to Shannah@scsj.org. Applicants are encouraged to visit our website at www.scsj.org to learn more about the organization. Successful candidates will undergo state, federal, and NSLPR background checks prior to formal offer.