The Southern Coalition for Social Justice (SCSJ), the leading social justice organization in the South, is seeking an experienced, creative, and strategic writer and thinker to assist in and support fundraising operations. This professional will draft grant requests and proposals as well as produce reports for existing grants; track grant obligations; play a key role in investigating new foundations and managing our foundation database; and help develop and implement evaluation metrics for grant reporting purposes.
Reporting to SCSJ’s Co Executive Director of Finance & Administration, the Grants Manager will join a passionate team of committed individuals who believe in investing in bold ideas to help grassroots organizations deepen their impact and advocate for social justice and human rights. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of SCSJ’s mission and vision as the organization continues to grow. This is a term-limited job opportunity at the moment, but SCSJ hopes to make this a permanent position.
Key Accountabilities and Deliverables:
- Develops and maintains knowledge of SCSJ’s programs and history.
- Maintains grant tracking calendar, including details on what materials are due.
- Determines proposal concept by identifying and clarifying opportunities and needs, studying requests for proposal (RFPs, and attending strategy meetings.
- Develops proposal by assembling information including project nature, objectives/outcomes/deliverables, implementation, methods, timetable, staffing, budget, standards of performance, and evaluation.
- Writes, revises, and edits drafts including executive summaries, conclusions, and organization credentials.
- Meets proposal and report deadlines by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review, approval, and transmittal.
- Furnishes prospective funders with supporting documents.
- Maintains quality results by using templates; following proposal-writing standards including readability, consistency, and tone; maintaining proposal support databases.
- Obtains approvals by reviewing proposal with Co-Executive Directors, key providers and project managers.
- Collaborates with Communications and Development team to send funders newsletters and requests for support.
- Improves grant reporting by helping to develop and implement organization-wide evaluation systems
- Updates job knowledge by participating in professional development opportunities; maintaining personal networks.
- Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- 1-3 years of professional experience in grant writing and management.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
- Skill in organizing and coordinating amongst numerous proposal and report contributors.
- Ability to conduct research, gather data, analyze information, and prepare reports and other materials.
- Ability to work flexible work hours including late nights, holidays and weekends where needed to complete a task.
- Displays exceptional time-management and organizational skills as needed for meeting deadlines.
- Works well alone as well as in cooperation with and/or under direct supervision.
Employment Type: Two-year contract position with potential for transition to full-time exempt if funding for the role is secured.
Compensation & Benefits: The salary for this two-year position is $45,000-$65,000, commensurate with experience. We also offer full-time, contract staffers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more.
Location: The Grants Manager will work from SCSJ’s office located in Durham, North Carolina. Due to the ongoing public health crisis, SCSJ staff will be working remotely until advised that it is safe to return to work. During this period of remote time, we are working with staff on an individual basis to set up flex schedules if needed for childcare or other care commitments.
Candidates must combine cover letter and resume into one PDF file and upload at scsj.org/GrantsManager. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
SCSJ is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender, gender identity, age, or disability.
If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance completing the online application, please contact Heather Mims at (919) 323-3380 or email@example.com for assistance.
PLEASE SUBMIT A RESUME AND COVER LETTER AT THIS LINK