The Southern Coalition for Social Justice (SCSJ), the leading social justice organization in the South, is seeking an experienced, creative, and strategic Development Associate to assist in and support fundraising operations. This professional will play a key role in acquiring new donors and managing our donor database. The Development Associate will support SCSJ Leadership’s fundraising by identifying potential sources as well as scheduling and coordinating meetings with prospective funders and donors as needed. The Development Associate will write grant requests, proposals and reports as necessary; work with the SCSJ Communications team to develop media campaigns to procure and grow individual contributions; help facilitate website and social media updates; and help manage SCSJ’s fundraising campaigns.
Reporting to SCSJ’s Co Executive Director of Finance & Administration, the Development Associate will join a passionate team of committed individuals who believe in investing in bold ideas to help grassroots organizations deepen their impact and advocate for social justice and human rights. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of SCSJ’s mission and vision as the organization continues to grow.
Key Accountabilities and Deliverables:
- Identifies, cultivates, solicits, and stewards donors and prospects including individuals, corporations, and/or foundations.
- Conducts and/or reviews research to identify prospects and creates strategies to match prospects’ interests to the priorities of SCSJ and its programs.
- Plans, develops, and implements fundraising projects and programs designed to increase the visibility of SCSJ.
- Makes effective use of the SCSJ’s prospect management database [CRM] and other institutional resources to ensure appropriate management of donors and donor relationships.
- Maintains the accuracy and integrity of databases and reports by ensuring that all information is kept current and up to date.
- Researches, writes, edits, and/or oversees the preparation of persuasive, and accurate solicitations, proposals, reports, correspondence, and other development-related communication materials as required.
- Provides support to SCSJ Leadership for fundraising.
- Mails flyers and other correspondence to potential donors, volunteers and guests in order to inform them of events and activities.
- Provides support to other advertising efforts and works with SCSJ Communications Team.
- Writes grant requests/proposals and reports as necessary.
- Maintains critical grant proposal and reporting calendar.
- Performs basic administrative duties such as filing, data entry, maintaining a filing system and more.
- Assists in scheduling meetings with prospective funders and donors.
- 2-5 years of professional experience in development or a related field.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
- Database and records management skills; experience in Salsa CRM and/or other database management tools a plus.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Working knowledge of a variety of fund-raising strategies and methods.
- Ability to conduct research, gather data, analyze information, and prepare reports and other materials.
- Ability to exercise good judgment, to demonstrate an understanding of ethics related to development activities, and to use discretion in interactions with donors, prospects, volunteers, and others.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate activities and special events.
- Ability to work extremely flexible work hours including late nights, holidays and weekends.
- Displays exceptional time-management and organizational skills as needed for meeting deadlines.
- Shows persuasiveness and the ability to procure donors, funders and items needed for fundraising efforts.
- Works well alone as well as under direct supervision.
Employment Type: Full-time exempt
Compensation & Benefits: The salary range for this position is $50,000 – $65,000. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental coverage, paid parental leave, participation in a retirement plan, sick and vacation leave, paid holidays and more.
Candidates must upload a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples through the application form at LinkedIn.
SCSJ is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender, gender identity, age, or disability.
If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance completing the online application, please contact Margaret DeLaurentis at (919) 323-3380 or email@example.com for assistance.