The Southern Coalition for Social Justice (SCSJ) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that was founded in August 2007 and works across the South. Our mission is to promote justice by partnering with communities of color and economically disadvantaged communities to defend and advance their political, social, and economic rights. SCSJ’s focus areas are community-driven, and currently include voting rights, justice system reform, and environmental justice. SCSJ employs a community lawyering model, meaning that we bring a variety of professional supports to our clients and partners, including legal, organizing, communications and research, and work with communities to determine which tools to use and when in order to best advance our partners goals.
For more information about our work and our unique community lawyering approach, visit our website at www.scsj.org.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement:
SCSJ is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, creed, sex, religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, personal appearance, marital or family status, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, genetic information, natural hair styles, or other status as protected by State and Federal laws. It is our intention to promote the full realization of equality in opportunity and employment.
SCSJ has an immediate opening for a GIS Specialist / Data Analyst to support SCSJ’s Voting Rights and Justice System Reform teams as well as our grassroots partners across the South fighting on behalf disadvantaged communities to defend and advance their political, social, and economic interests. This role will provide GIS programmatic support, data management, and analysis services to all SCSJ program areas, including state and local redistricting and elections data analytics.
- Conduct quantitative research, analysis, and spatial visualization of data in support of litigation and advocacy in the voting rights, justice system reform, and environmental justice practice areas.
- Provide grassroots community organizations with the data and geospatial information they need to advance their own social, political, and economic interests.
- Analyze redistricting plans introduced by legislative bodies ranging from town councils to state legislatures, and work with clients and the voting rights team to develop redistricting plans at all levels of government for introduction in litigation or the legislative process.
- Work with clients and the voting rights team to analyze potential voter suppression efforts or opportunities for advancing a proactive democracy agenda at all levels of government, and provide data and support for litigation or the legislative process.
- As needed, work with the justice system reform and environmental justice teams to analyze laws and policies that implicate our partners in those practice areas, to both inform litigation strategy and policy advocacy.
- Keep current with emerging GIS, redistricting, and data analytics software and technology.
Qualifications should include:
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 2 years of experience or Master’s degree required. Certificate or formal coursework in GIS and/or data science preferred.
- Proficient with (or able to learn quickly) GIS software such as ArcGIS, QGIS, and Maptitude for Redistricting, and data analysis software such as Excel and Tableau. Experience with data science programming languages such as Python and R preferred.
- Commitment to SCSJ’s mission, and to building an egalitarian organization guided by principles and practices that promote racial equity.
- Positive attitude towards assignments, friendly disposition, ability to work in a team environment, and strong desire to help staff produce a quality work product.
- Flexibility to respond to rapidly changing priorities and multiple requests from a variety of staff members.
- Ability to approach a project creatively, problem solve, exercise discretion and independent judgment, and work with minimum direction.
Salary & Benefits:
The GIS Specialist / Data Analyst salary will range from $50,000 to $65,000 per year, commensurate with experience, and include comprehensive health and retirement benefits.
The GIS Specialist / Data Analyst, will work from SCSJ’s office located in Durham, North Carolina. Due to the ongoing public health crisis, SCSJ staff will be working remotely until advised that it is safe to return to work. During this period of remote time, we are working with staff on an individual basis to set up flex schedules if needed for childcare or other care commitments. The preferred start date is August 2022.
Candidates must upload a resume and cover letter to this Box Folder. Files should be properly labeled with the candidate’s name. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
SCSJ is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender, gender identity, age, or disability.
If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance completing the online application, please contact us at email@example.com for assistance.